Wednesday 30 September 2009

Bake of the week : Autumn Flavours



We used to grow apples at home, and once September got underway there would be a procession of cakes and puddings involving apples. Now that I have to buy my apples in the supermarket, this doesn't happen, but as soon as September comes I do get cravings for apple flapjacks, apple sponge pudding and stewed apple. So this week I decided to make one of my favourite new recipes from last year: BBC Good Food's Blackberry and Apple Loaf. Yum yum...


After smelling the apples, I was desperate to have some apple flapjack, so I made some of that too. In fact, I made it twice, in a vegan version, and a non vegan version. Here is a piece in its all-butter glory (I wouldn't bother making it with vegan margarine, it is just a disappointment).

8 comments:

  1. More stellar baking Verity!

    A co-worker brought in a homemade apple crisp on Monday. Funny, everyone was taking an early tea break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is apple crisp Darlene? I haven't come across that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's baking apples chopped up in chunks, sprinkled with a little lemon juice. Then you make a topping with brown sugar, oats, cinammon and nutmeg - and butter too. It's baked in an 8 or 9 inch square pan and you serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, whilst it's warm of course! Yummy on a cold evening.

    You may just have a different name for it across the pond. I'm going to see if I can find a link - be right back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very strange, I've tried linking three recipes and they won't paste - ugh! I like the Canadian Living website so you can type in 'Apple Crisp' in their search box. They use a Splenda version of brown sugar, that's a sugar substitute so just use the regular stuff if you give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that sounds delicious. I don't think we have a different name - sounds a bit like apple crumble but not quite. Found this recipe here http://www.joyofbaking.com/AppleCrisp.html is that any good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds perfect! I usually cut the sugar in any recipe that I make by a little bit and if you're adding a scoop of ice cream on top that's going to add to the sweetness as well. The lemon zest isn't in my recipe, if you leave it out it won't make a difference. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm this all sounds just my kind of thing - I love theses autumn apple bakes! I haven't tried apple flapjack before - looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for popping by Lucy - I try to post bakes on a Tuesday. Apple flapjack is so yummy, you must try it. Would be good with some blackberries in too I think!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.