Wednesday 16 September 2009

BBAW Meme

I've enjoyed reading other bloggers replies to this, so thought I should definitely give it a go myself! I haven't had a chance yet what with being on holiday to join in with Book Bloggers Appreciation Week so this is my contribution.


Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
I don't snack and read as I find it difficult to wield the book and the food, and I hate making books sticky. However, I do love to read while I eat, so usually catch up on magazines, or the odd library book (invariably already sticky) if I'm on my own.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
Absolutely hate it, I did use postits whilst doing various degrees, but they're not that good for books.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?
Whatever scrap of paper is to hand.

Laying the book flat open?
Absolutely not, can't stand wrinkled spines.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
Generally fiction, but I do read cookery books, and books about Cornwall and biographies.

Hard copy or audiobooks?
I don't listen to very many audiobooks but we have had a couple whilst making long trips recently - it's good if there isn't anything interesting on Radio 4.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
Ideally the end of the chapter, but will stop anywhere.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
Not generally.

What are you currently reading?
Just about to start The Haunted House by Wilkie Collins. Also have Below Stairs by Margaret Powell on the go to read in bed.

What is the last book you bought?
In the "withdrawn from library stock" I earlier picked up two books published by Virago, one for my Virago Venture, which is The echoing grove by Rosamund Lehmann (actually I have already read this but was happy to get my own copy so cheaply) and another volume of Maya Angelou's autobiography.

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
I generally have at least 2 books on the go at once.

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?
Whilst waiting for my boyfriend to get home from work.

Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?
Generally stand alone books - sequels, although one is often desperate for them, are somehow never as good.

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
Hmm, not one that I keep recommending, but I love Daphne Du Maurier.

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
Genre and alphabetically for fiction, although there are some exceptions!

5 comments:

  1. Our answers were very similar on occasion!

    Did you link to your meme? http://bookbloggerappreciationweek.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, I'll read Du Maurier already! Ha ha. I'll be stocking up on her maybe next year. I've bookmarked your posts just recently, the ones where you posted all her books with the covers on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really interesting. I can't believe you use scraps of paper as bookmarks and you sent me that lovely bookmark of books from the Bodleian! Which I have to say looked just gorgeous, not to mention appropriate, tucked inside my copy of 84 CXR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a lot of bloggers are reading Wilkie Collins at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire - indeed!

    Claire - I love the fact that you've bookmarked those posts. I just finished reading Enchanted Cornwall last night.

    Darlene - I know. I should be ashamed of myself. I do have some bookmarks but they are never to hand.

    JoAnn - Wilkie Collins proved very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.