Wednesday 15 December 2010

Mince pies

I am quite proud of my first ever batch of mince pies, particularly as they also happen to be vegan and gluten free. I used this recipe from the Butcher, Baker blog. I found the pastry a little difficult to work with, so was glad that I was only making mini pies rather than a large tart; I also found the pastry a little tough on eating, but I'm wondering about using the gluten-free baker's friend Xanthum gum, which is often added to make GF baking more fluffy. Still, they were devoured by K as much as me (with some brandy cream :) ) and they look so pretty!

4 comments:

  1. Verity, Xanthum gum is a magic ingredient, since having to adapt to GF cooking earlier this year, I wouldn't be without it in my store cupboard.

    The pies do look lovely, I usually do a star or 3 holly leaves as my top layer when I make mince pies, adds a bit more of a Christmas feel in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious. I love the stars on top. I watched Rachel Allen make some that looked similar on Christmas Bake this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh: I want to give these a go! And I can, since they're GF and vegan. :D I'll add a tsp of xanthum gum too: I always toss it into baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe I've never had mince? These are so cute and my dad is a mince fan so I might have to try these.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.