Wednesday 8 December 2010

Ken's gingerbread house

Last year, you may remember that my beloved made his first foray into gingerbread construction with a stable to house the shortbread nativity that I had made. This year, he was determined to make something bigger and better, and decided to make a traditional gingerbread house (since that has far more potential for decoration than a stable does!). We made the dough together last Thursday, but the baking, construction and decoration was all his work and I am hugely impressed with the results. The stained glass windows are made out of boiled sweets, and the roof is malted milk biscuits. The log pile is made out of chocolate fingers and it's all stuck together with several boxes of royal icing. He used some battery operated fairy lights to light the inside of the house and they can be switched on when it gets dark!


Given house prices in Oxford, I'm wondering if perhaps we should build a gingerbread house somewhere...

10 comments:

  1. *Sweet*.
    Given the current state of Oxonian house prices I think the required investment in icing sugar would pay for itself four-fold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!

    Some impressive construction and baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!! Looks like a new holiday tradition has been established...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this picture on your facebook and was curious about the story behind it. It looks soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! I love the stained glass windows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on this by Ken.

    Only problem I could foresee with a full size gingerbread house, is that Hansel and Gretel might come by and take a chunk out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is beautiful! It almost seems a shame to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful -- I'm full of admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! Very tricky to get them to stay up, the icing must be just right to hold it all so I'm super impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.