Friday 16 October 2009

Emily

A bonus bake of the week this week as I decided to make some Earl Grey Tea Biscuits to mark the 16th October. I have seen this recipe on a number of blogs, such as here, and knew that it was what I wanted to bake today. Unfortunately the biscuits turned out tough and inedible, and I don't know what went wrong. It gave me a good excuse to cry anyway.

The 16th October is a sad day for me, as three years ago one of my very closest friends took her life after a long battle with depression. Autumn has always been my favourite time of year, but it has been tinged with sadness over the last 3 years as I remember Emily. Emily was a great reader and a great baker, and gave me a wonderful book of muffins, as well as Clare Morrall's Astonishing Splashes of Colour, (almost the last time anyone risked giving me a novel) and a fantastic greetings card with the motto "There's no such thing as too many books" (see below). At school I remember surreptitiously swapping Chalet School books, wrapped up in carrier bags because we were embarassed to still be reading them aged 14! She then introduced me to the children's author Hilary McKay whose books such as Saffy's Angel and Indigo's Star were such comfort reads; I was devastated when I realised that she would never read the last books in the series. She used to regularly visit me when I worked in the public library and I would invariably have to renew the books she had borrowed when she forgot to return them. Her beverage of choice was Earl Grey tea, and it is something I always drink when I visit her Mum. So the Earl Grey tea biscuits seemed appropriate. I'm undecided as to whether or not she would have approved of them; I remember her eating flapjack and muffins with her tea and wonder whether she might have considered it a desecration of her tea-leaves. But I shall light a candle tonight, and I might get out Astonishing Splashes of Colour or one of the Hilary MacKay novels tonight to remember her.

8 comments:

  1. You are such a good friend Verity. It's so difficult missing someone special, I know how it feels. We had friends that drowned while on holiday fifteen years ago, Marie loved books and Austen and was the sweetest person you could ever meet. She died trying to save her husband. I always miss her but especially when books or movies come out that we would have enjoyed together.

    I love that you honour your friend by baking biscuits, even if they didn't turn out. If you scrunch them up and put them on the balcony I bet the birds would love it! Give that recipe another go Verity, they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((((Verity))))) that's a big hug for you. Books hold such cherished memories and there can never be too many, of either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad, Verity. Like Darlene, I know how it feels. My husband's best friend was shot while I was pregnant with our now almost seven-year-old child. It's still difficult to think about him.

    But also, as did Claire, here are *hugs* for you. Hope you have a not-too-sad trip down memory lane tonight. Your friend sounds so bookishly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you on this sad anniversary, Verity. Hopefully the evening will give you the opportunity to revisit memories of happier days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. You're all very kind. Unfortunately the biscuits had the consistency of lego bricks (!) so I don't think even the birds would be able to eat them. Still feeling sad today but at least it is time to start moving on again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Verity what a beautiful post and I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I lost my cousin a few years ago and that was very hard so I know how you feel. I'm glad you have some lovely memories you can look back over and cherish, and I find remembering the lovely times you did have together really helps in the grieving process. Big ((Hug)) to you. And I'm sorry the biscuits didn't work out. Always a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to celebrate your friendship. She will always be there inside you. Keep up the baking and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Rachel and chasingbawa.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.