Tuesday 6 October 2009

Bake of the week : alternative cooking

One of my friends has recently been put on a wheat-free/gluten-free/dairy-free/egg-free diet, and in the process of looking for recipes to help her out, I came across this spelt cinnamon cake recipe. It doesn't quite fit the bill for her, but as I have been advised to try replacing wheat with other grains, it was good for me!

The cake turned out surprisingly well, and the spelt gave it quite a different texture. I only had wholemeal spelt (leftover from a breadmaking experiment), so it was quite "healthy", but the topping of almonds, egg and sugar gave it an almost macaroon like icing.

One thing I have learnt since I have been baking more seriously, is the importance of the correct sized tin. Recently I have been fudging things, using my smaller round tins, and then putting leftover mixture into ramekins. However, it doesn't always get such good results, so I was especially glad that I had purchased this new round 20cm tin for this cake.

2 comments:

  1. It looks terrific and I'm quite sure that I would like it. A co-worker has brought in cookies made with spelt flour and I was the only one who thought they were yummy. In the end, if something goes well with a cup of tea then I'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used spelt flour before...this might be a good experiment.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.