Tuesday 27 October 2009

Bake of the week: Spelt cinnamon and sultana cake


Having quite enjoyed the spelt cake that I made a few weeks ago, I decided to adapt the recipe to see if I could make it fit my tastes better. And what a result I had with my Spelt cinnamon and sultana cake - it was seriously yummy. The ticket to baking with spelt is to add more liquid than you might do with wheatflour. This is quite a plain cake but good if you want cake but not something laden with butter icing or chocolate. Healthy I reckon.

The recipe:
4 oz butter/marg
4 oz caster sugar
2 eggs
5 oz spelt flour (I used wholemeal)
2 oz sultanas
sploosh of milk
2 tsp cinnamon (I like things to be really cinnamonny).

Cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in 2 beaten eggs. Stir in the flour, cinnamon and sultanas and a sploosh of milk to loosen. Bake in a 23cm round tin (or you can bake it in a 18 cm tin as I did and make a few cupcakes at the same time) at 180C for 30mins or until a knife/skewer inserted comes out clean (hence the little holes in the top of my cake).

I've now got some white/refined spelt to try so look out for another spelt recipe soon.

7 comments:

  1. A 'sploosh of milk'. That's referred to as a glug in my house, hee,hee!

    I really like cakes that aren't too sweet, just a little something to accompany a cup of tea. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sploosh?? Lol...like Darlene, we call it a glug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sploosh is like a splash but a little bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! Healthy cake is always good, and in the words of Marjorie from Little Britain...it's half the calories...so you can eat twice as much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha - that's such a good quote. This was made with wholemeal flour though so doubt you COULD eat twice as much...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks and sounds delicious. And I'll definitely be adding sploosh to my baking vocabulary!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must come up with some more verity-baking terms...

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.