Friday 4 June 2010

My reading taste in a picture


There have been some fascinating posts over this last week as bloggers have responded to Simon at Stuck in a book's challenge to sum up personal reading taste in a picture that doesn't include a book! I have been wracking my brains all week over this; really I wanted to post the above picture of my own library (actually quite out of date as I have many more Persephones now, and three tall bookcases as opposed to only two) - the shelves holding a huge assortment of books of all shapes and sizes really seems to sum up my liking for diverse books, and the familiarity of my own book collection would reflect my desire to read reassuring literature and frequent revisiting of the books that I love.



But this was not permitted, so I had to find another picture. I've come up with a picture taken on holiday last year in Polzeath. Whilst it is obviously a "room with a view", I'm not implying that my reading taste is EM Forster! I chose this picture because being on holiday is an escape, and that is something that I try to find in my reading, something sunny that cheers me up when I am feeling down. It's also a very familiar view to me - I spent 20 years holidaying and looking at that view for 2 weeks at a time, so it is reassuring, and I like to be reassured and comforted and find the familiar in my reading. And finally it is in Cornwall; regular readers of my blog will know that I love to read books set in the county.


(And as a bit of a cheat, I'll share the picture I nearly chose - me, baking in my Persephone endpapers apron - this sums up a different aspect of my reading taste - it shows the domestic streak in me, and portrayals of domesticity are something I seek out in books. Obviously it reflects the fact that I adore Persephone books which themselves often centre around the domestic. And I thought that the presence of the biscuits reflects the importance of children's books to me - how many children's books involve picnics, cake and eating!)

12 comments:

  1. Sweet post. I liked reading the journey of the picture you chose, and the other possible contenders. Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! What a gorgeous picture.. and I enjoyed reading about the runners up, too. Everyone has selected such thoughtful pictures. I'd have no idea what to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both pictures are perfectly you, Verity! I wish I had that view!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that photo with the baking and the apron! Clothes made of Persephone endpapers are surely the only apparel for book-lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quote: I like to be reassured and comforted and find the familiar in my reading.

    Some overly intellectual types might sneer at that - I think it's brilliant. I like the sea view too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous view...your heart really is in Cornwall isn't it, Verity. And that pinny is just so darn cute that I'd be tempted to make a fashion statement and wear it out on my errands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All three pictures say Verity to me although I especially like the second one which is very similar to the photo I would choose for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Verity, I love all those pictures, but the Cornish one is amazing. It's a view filled with promise as well as comfort and looks irrisistable - just like all the books I've bought on your recommendation:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all three of these photos and the descriptions behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all of the comments everyone - I'm glad that you feel my pictures reflect what you know of my reading taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your choice of photo suits your reading taste very very well! :D

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.