Sunday 29 May 2011

10km swum for Mind and Macmillan

Just a quick post to let you all know that amid the chaos of the moment (we move house on Saturday, and still have no kitchen or bathroom), I successfully completed my 10km swim!



What an experience! I can't pretend that it was easy - lying facedown in 17.5C water for 3 hours 32 minutes (and 13 seconds) - but it wasn't *quite* as hard as I thought it might be. K came along and wore a flourescent cycling jacket so I was able to see him all the way round. I sang hymns in my head, I thought about the three people that I was swimming in memory of...but mainly, I just swam. The worst bit was the 5th of the 6 miles, when my second feed didn't agree with me as well as the first one, and I'd felt cold on the 4th mile, but as I turned onto the last mile back down the lake, I decided to just put my head down and swim, and it was actually my fastest one of the six.

Here's a blurry action shot of me waving at K as I came round the corner:
...having a quick snack (banana and jelly bears):


...and swimming towards the finish!

It didn't take me long to recover, and here I am wearing all of my clothes and all of K's clothes at the end, proudly holding my finishing time.



I have to say that I feel A LOT worse today - I can't lift my arms because they hurt too much, and the chafing from the wetsuit under my arms and around my neck has developed into some beautiful scabs!

I've already raised nearly £1350 which is 2/3 of the way to my target of £2000. I'm hoping that more people will support me when they hear about what I've done! The two charities that I am supporting are Mind, the Mental Health Charity, and Macmillan Cancer Support. The former are currently working hard to help with the problems of mental health illness in the workplace, and the latter do excellent work in supporting those with cancer, and their families, and were absolutely wonderful for both my fiance's stepfather and father who died in the last year.

If you have any spare pennies, then please do donate online here. Thank you!

I promise that once we've moved, and are into June, some semblance of normal service should be resumed...

16 comments:

  1. Congrats to you on your swim, and best of luck during the move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Verity! I'm impressed, and amsure you will recover quickly. I hope you move goes well, too. Take care ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I can't even imagine swimming this long. You are awesome! Have a well-earned rest with lots to read to and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done SO well - I'm seriously impressed! And give it a few days and you'll feel fine, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Verity I thought about you yesterday - I really do not think I could have done it.

    How long before you go back and swim now?

    I expect you will feel better when settled after your move. Good Luck. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done ,stu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Verity! What an achievement! I hope you are able to reach your goal for the charities. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Verity - what an amazing achievement - both in regards to the physical challenge and the fundraising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all - I can lift my arms today slightly and even made it back into the pool for a cheeky 2km :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Verity, brilliant job, well done. Can't believe you've done another swim since. Will be in touch soonish I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yaaay!!! Well done Verity. What a star :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done you! Happy moving as well - how exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Verity!! You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Verity!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! You are such a strong, and determined, woman. Hope you're feeling better today and wear those beautiful scabs with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.