Saturday 1 January 2011

On the eight day of Christmas.... (and a Happy New Year!)

On the eighth day of Christmas
I still wasn't reading very much, but I am starting to feel a bit betterfrom the flu (and better enough to feel spectacularly grumpy that we can't do our usual trip to the outdoor pool at Hampton to start the New Year) and have been dipping into some short stories by Mrs Horne De Vaizey, entitled The ignorance of Sybilla which is one of the latest Greyladies titles. I have been having lots of cuddles with Bernard, my Christmas bear from K:


I still have various things to wrap up from 2010, a month of December post and my November/December reading. But they join the other things that I want to blog about in the next couple of weeks - a couple of great books that I recieved review copies of, pictures of baking over the holiday period.

I am really looking forward to 2011 - mainly to August 2nd when I will be getting married and August 13th when I will be celebrating my marriage with friends and family. But I will also be doing a 10K swim (assuming that the lack of swim today doesn't bode badly for that!), and K will be doing Le Tour D'Etape (a stage of the Tour de France open to non professional riders). And we may be buying a house...

I don't have too many bookish resolutions - I do resolve to read at least 1 Virago Modern Classic a week as I have really fallen behind with those of late. I also resolve not to have an out of hand TBR pile. I'd love to continue with all of the Cornish reading that I did in late winter/early Spring last year, as inspired by the wonderful Fleur Fisher; and I hope that I won't be relying quite so much on reading Babysitters Club books next year! And we have Persephone Reading Weekend to look forward to at the end of February.

Happy New Year to you all!

9 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Verity. Hope you continue to feel better each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, and I hope that you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new Greyladies title and a teddy bear sounds just about perfect.

    I hope that you feel better soon and that 2011 will be a wonderful year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year

    I love the teddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new year Verity - it sounds like you have a great 2011 coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bernard is lovely! Is he BernARD, or BERNard (like Shaw)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the teddy! And 2011 is going to be a big year for you :) I hope it will bring you everything you want and more..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so looking forward to the Persephone Reading Weekend and have my book chosen already. Dorothy Whipple's short stories will fit the bill nicely.

    I can't wait to see a photo of you in your wedding dress, Verity! In the meantime, Bernard looks quite dashing in his vest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd hoped we have a December round up from Verity. Glad you're feeling better and hurrai for August 13th!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.