Tuesday 8 May 2012




I have to say it's rather nice to get home to boxes of fresh fruit and vegetabkes.  Look at my lovely apples, bananas and oranges!  Oranges and bananas do particularly put one in mind of warmer and sunnier climes.  I saw a recipe for a mincemeat and orange flapjack so that may get made this week.

Onto the veg.  This week we have jersey potatoes (covered in mud, necessitated scrubbing - I don't think I've ever scrubbed a potato free of mud in my life!), lambs lettuce, cherry tomatoes on the vine, radishes, courgettes, avocado, broccoli, and beetroot.  It's nice to have some salad stuff this week as we didn't get any last week, and I have a quiche in the oven which will do for the next three nights with the lovely salad veg and jersey royals.
As for the beetroot, my heart sank a bit.  It's the third time we've had them now, possibly even the fourth, and I'm a bit beetrooted out.  Last time I made sweet potato and beetroot curry, but I haven't really got much else to use them with this time.  Another risotto perhaps; roasting has also been recommended I think previously.  The beetroot also need a good scrub as well...

4 comments:

  1. How about Beetroot cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Verity, how about trying the Beet Roesti from http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/blv264.htm
    It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika W.
    Oh you take me back to my childhood! During postwar rationing we would buy potatoes in sacks directly from farms and the MUD was horrendous--so thick that sometimes a little earthworm would be wriggling around happily. No pre-scrubbing at vegetable stores and stalls either--all thrown together into our cane shopping basket, but goodness they were really fresh.

    Also we children would look hopefully for the broken biscuits barrel--could take a free handful any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Verity,
    Your mention of beetroot has compelled me to de-lurk! Best beetroot recipe I know is Bill Granger's Goats Curd and Lentil Salad with Roasted Beetroot - http://adeliciousyear.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/bills-goats-curd-and-lentil-salad-with.html
    And Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall has a great Beetroot and Cumin Hommous and a Beetroot Tarte Tatin. He has loads of other recipes as well which are worth a look.
    Cheers and best!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.