Wednesday 25 November 2009

Heirlooms

Although mostly it is the content of books that I value and that interests me, my work in the field of rare books has also given me an interest in books as objects. I have become aware of the aesthetic appeal of the binding of a book and the value that this can add to the object. Another element in the concept of book as object is its provenance or ownership.

Whilst I have a number of second hand books, many inscribed with the names of the previous owners, the provenance of my books is not an especially interesting facet of my book collection. I have inherited a few of the books which my mother had as a child (it seems to be children's books that are most often passed on between generations); my father has hung onto his as he still likes to reread his Jennings books.

However, this summer I was given a wonderful heirloom by my godmother - a bible which has been passed down the female line of her family. As she has not had any children, she decided to pass it on to me.

As you can see, it has been inscribed by those giving the book, and now includes an dedication to myself.

I think this is a wonderful thing to own, and it took me to a whole new level of receiving books as gifts.

12 comments:

  1. That is wonderful, I agree. Do you write your name in any of your own books? Will you in future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Owen - I do write my name in pencil in my books along with the date and city of purchase. Sadly I have yet to acquire anything that I would want to bequeath to anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how absolutely lovely. I always like finding out the provenance of books, and obviously it's often useful in terms of my research if I can find out early or original owners of the Early Modern books I study.

    I'm interested to read about what you write inside your books. I also put my name and the date. I always used to put the city of purchase too, but somehow (perhaps since I started buying more online!) this has been altered and I now put my college and Oxford in instead (possibly influenced by all the old books I've read which are inscribed 'John Smith of Balliol College his book' etc!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just beautiful Verity, I actually found it very, very touching and think its delightful you have been passed that book. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a precious lovely gift on every level.
    The aesthetic, the history, the sentiment, the content!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful! I feel like starting something similar right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophie - I think it was seeing inscriptions in old books which got me inscribing mine - also my Dad does it!

    Simon - it is lovely! I was so touched too.

    Merenia - exactly! Thanks for popping in.

    Jackie - you have children so that would be a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a touching gesture Verity. It is something special to be the keeper of a book from the past until it's time to pass it on again. As the eldest in my family I have the family bible which is over one hundred years old. There are little bits of dried flowers, old newspaper clippings, movie stubs on old card stock and a small piece of cross-stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so lovely! I think giving other people books is one of the best things in the world but it has even more significance if a book is kept within a family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darlene - that bible sounds wonderful. There isn't anything in mine, but maybe I should start that...

    Dot - it is lovely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is amazing. It would be so great to own a book, that's passed through generations.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.