I made mini bakewell tarts earlier this year, and thought that I would have a go at a slightly bigger one as I now have a proper flan tin. I'm afraid I cheated and used ready made (and, eeek, ready rolled) shortcrust pastry, but the filling was all my own, and my partner thought it was one of the best puddings I've made. (He enthuses about almost all of my baking, but occasionally there is something that he REALLY enthuses about, and this was one of them).
I made up my own recipe for the filling (to fill 20 cm flan tin)
* 2oz margarine (didn't even need butter to get a good taste)
* 2oz caster sugar
* 1 beaten egg
* 2 oz ground almonds
* 1 tsp baking powder
* jam (I used raspberry, but there wasn't quite enough, so one corner had a bit of strawberry in!)
* flaked almonds (should have gone on top but I didn't have any, and am being frugal so didn't buy some specially!).
* Beat together marg. and sugar.
* Beat in egg.
* Beat in almonds and baking powder
* Line the tin with a piece of pastry (DON'T stretch it, or it will shrink - I learnt this the hard way)
* Spread jam over the bottom of the pastry
* Cover with almond/marg/sugar/egg mixture
* Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for about 30 minutes or until done.
6 hours ago