Wednesday 26 August 2009

Persephone Reading Week : Making Conversation (Longford)


Making conversation was the title that I chose to accompany me to London on my day out. Perfect for reading on the trains, particularly as I worried about meeting Paperback Reader for the first time! Of course, I had no reason to worry about a need to Make Conversation, as we had plenty to talk about, Persephone Reading Week Aside, and enjoyed spotting Persephone books in Foyles and trying to find Virago Modern Classics. This is one of the latest releases by Persephone, and particularly interested me because the writer, Christine Longford, spent some of her life in Oxfordshire where I live, and because much of it is set in Oxford.

The title comes from the heroine's inability to get the balance of "making conversation" right - she either says too much or too little.

Forgive me for not posting a proper review, but it was a very long day out (I then went to see Sister Act with my boyfriend (I know, I should have had the Dorothy Whipple book with me too).

I enjoyed it very much, and would really recommend it. It's a much quicker read than the two other books that I have read this week, and I found it most amusing. I left my copy with Claire, so can't give you any extracts - Ihope she enjoys it!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day out! I know how it feels to meet a blog friend in person, Kristina ventured out twice to meet with me when I was in London. I can't imagine you and Claire ever running out of things to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun and I hold Claire entirely responsible for the fact that I bought 4 books - she didn't try at all to restrain me! Will show pictures in a post at the weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact, I enabled you! I feel no remorse either, hee.

    I'm looking forward to reading Making Conversation myself; I just need some extra hours this week (like another week's worth) to read all Persephones tempting me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had so much fun! Can't wait for you to post pictures, and to see what books you bought!

    Making Conversations sounds very interesting. I'll check it out, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't sure about this Persephone title but seeing that you enjoyed it I have added it to my wishlist. So glad you and Claire had such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to point out that Claire bought a book too!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.