Tuesday 25 August 2009

Persephone Reading Week: Bricks and Mortar (Ashton)


Having spent most of today at Bekonscot model village, Bricks and Mortar seemed like a highly appropriate choice when I got home, since it tells the story of an architect over 40 years of his life in the 1890s. Having peered at tiny little houses, churches and other buildings (there is a zoo, several schools and a fun fair too!) it felt right to read about someone who plans these things.

Helen Ashton, according to the introduction, wrote about 25 novels in the 1930s, but is now largely forgotten. Another reason why I wanted to read this book this week, is that it isn't one of the more famous Persephone titles and I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention.

One of the things I liked so much about this book was the description of the buildings; the ones he inhabited and the ones that he visited. I think Ashton is really successful in perceiving things in the way that an architect might, and one gets a real sense of this through the book. I also learnt a lot about the architectural profession and the process of designing buildings.

There is a story too - about his marriage, and the subsequent children, and the interference of his formiddable mother, but it is the descriptions of the buildings in the book which really make it in my opinion.

I would love to seek out some more titles by Ashton as a result of reading this book. I like the sound of the one, mentioned on the dustwrapper, about the day in the life of a doctor - if it is anything like this one, then

8 comments:

  1. It does sound interesting and I have heard positive reviews in the past via LibraryThing.
    The themed reading for you doesn't surprise me! Is tomorrow's set in London?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know nothing about architecture, but I love the idea of seeing through the eyes of someone who does. That's part of the appeal of books, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why but these model villages and the little miniature Christmas ones so appeal to me. The book sounds appealing as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those titles in the Persephone catalogue that I whizzed past when I first received it. The more you get to know these books, the more you realize that there's something worth reading about in each one, even it it's not apparent at first glance. Being in love with so much of the architecture in London this book should be on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this one for years, but haven't read... too long for Persephone Reading Week, since I want to read one a day! I have Return To [From?] Cheltenham by Helen Ashton too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I MUST read this. There are so very few books on architects, it makes me wonder why. It will be so refreshing to read one with the main character being an architect (and I'll get back to you on whether his thoughts were accurate/representative or not)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Darlene. So many titles in the Persephone list don't really pop out, but then you realize each has its own distinct merit that makes you want to read it after all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was incredibly distinctive, and really enjoyable. It took me a while to get into it (I sometimes find that with P books) but then just couldn't put it down. It is heavily centred in London too.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.