Friday 30 March 2012

Orange 2012: Round-up

I'm still waiting for my copy of The night circus to arrive, but I've read the other 19 longlisted titles and as we're off for a little break (more on that later), it seems like a good time to round up my reading. I was hoping that The night circus would arrive in time, but it was not to be!

So firstly, here is the list of the 19 books that I have read, with links to my thoughts on them, ranked in order of how much I liked them.

Island of wings
State of wonder
Painter of silence
Gillespie and I
There but for the
Foreign Bodies
The sealed letter
Translation of the bones
The forgotten waltz
The flying man
Song of Achilles
On the floor
Grief of others
The submission
The pink hotel
Tides of war
Lord of Misrule
The Blue Book

And then this is the 5 that I think will make the shortlist, not sure about the 6th, maybe it will be the elusive Night Circus?
The Blue Book
Gillespie and I
There but for the
The forgotten waltz
State of wonder

I have to admit that I have been a bit disappointed by the Orange longlist this year, there have been less enjoyable books that the last couple of years. I wondered whether it is because I have been in a bit of a reading lull, but no, over the last couple of weeks I have encountered some fantastic books which would have fitted the criteria. So if you don't read Island of wings, then please read The roundabout man, The snow child or The lifeboat (I have yet to read the last but am very excited about it as the reports I have been given are very promising). I've been given more recommendations of books which people hoped would make the list and didn't to pursue too over the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I think you've chosen a very good shortlist and agree that The Night Circus will probably grab that 6th spot. The only thing I'd change is to remove The Blue Book - I think it is too similar to There But For The and there wont be two experimental books on the shortlist. I'd swap it for Island of Wings :-)

    I'd also like to add Salvage the Bones to your list of books that should have mafe the list. I look forward to seeing which other books you decide to read in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am only half way through but I would not disagree really with your shortlist. I wouldn't have thought Joanna Trollope would be into the post modern or whatever it is stuff of the Blue Book but who knows?
    I personally would not put Night Circus on there as the idea was good but it loses impetus half way in my opinion. Not sure if I will manage all 20 like you; amazing reading rate.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.