Monday 5 March 2012

Happy St Pirans Day!

Yes, St Piran is the patron saint of Cornwall and of tin miners and 5th March is his day! Long time readers will be aware of my love of Cornwall so having seen a post on Dovegreyreader's blog (where you can learn a little more about St Piran), I didn't want to let it go without mention here.

Last week I wrote about the Virago reissue of one of my favourite books celebrating the county here, by perhaps one of its most famous novelists - Vanishing Cornwall by none other than Daphne Du Maurier, so do pop over to my other blog to have a glimpse of its beautiful cover. Previously reissued in hardback, it's now out in paperback so very affordable.

It's less than 4 weeks until Mr W and I will be heading off to spend my third birthday in a row in North Cornwall. I've read A LOT of fiction set in Cornwall - see these posts here for some reading that I did in the run up to a trip two years ago, but I've still managed to get a copy of something new to read - a book called The saffron eaters. Saffron is a rare expensive spice that has only ever really been able to be cultivated in Cornwall; if you visit the county today you can buy saffron loaf and saffron buns which are fruit breads flavoured with saffron and a bright yellow colour (but very tasty), so that will be a treat.




In the meantime, I'll leave you with a couple of beautiful coastal snaps.

2 comments:

  1. I'm envious, I love Cornwall too and books set there, from Malory Towers on. I've only managed one holiday though, a week in a cottage at Gunnislake, it's a long way from Scotland. I'm sure you'll have a great birthday when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a lovely birthday and holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.