Tuesday 12 January 2010

Ruby's Spoon (Pietroni)


Another review from me today - I started a new job on Monday, and so am using this week as a catch-up from Christmas reading while I get to grips with managing my time again! I received a copy of this incredibly quirky book from Vintage, and had to start reading it straight away because the plot sounded so intriguing. A young girl, named Ruby, becomes caught up in the story of a witch, a mermaid, and a missing woman.
Ruby, the main character, helps out in a chip shop, and encounters Isa Fly one night - on a hunt for the missing woman. Ruby becomes involved in the hunt, hoping that she will get the adventure at sea that she longs for, but ends up antagonising the local residents. I found the story a little difficult to follow at times because it was so unusual and unlike anything that I had read before, but I what I liked most about the book was that it was unusual.
Set in the Black Country, one of the highlights of the book for me was the use of local dialect which almost had to be read out loud to make sense:
"I cor stay long. I cor leave the vats unwatched. Catch the fat could, and then we'd all be fried"
Similarly the wonderful descriptions of the surroundings enabled me to imagine a region that I have never visited and added to the sense of mysticalness around the book.
I would not be surprised if this book is a big hit when it comes out next year and would not be surprised to see it on a prize list or two.

9 comments:

  1. I hope that your new job is going well? This time of year is good not only for burrowing away and reading but having fresh starts - and you have managed both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an eye-catching cover, the dialect could be a bit of trouble for me though.

    Hope you're settling in at work. How long before you're baking for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Settling in well thanks - I'll try and write about it at the end of the week. Getting plenty of reading time and loving having a house-man at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Verity - You just won my Captivated book giveaway! Can you email me your address today. I'd like to send the book out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds very interesting, the cover is lovely too. Hope that you are enjoying the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds intriguing and I do like the look of the cover. The dialect would also be challenging which while I struggle with dialects always try and give them ago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought you hadn't liked the book so good to know its unusual premise captivated you.

    I don't have too much of an issue with dialects; I reviewed The Tin-Kin this week and that had big chunks of dialect, which I liked and enjoyed.

    Hope the new job is all you hope it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got a copy of this and hope to read it soon. I like unusual, so I hope that I enjoy it.

    I hope that you enjoy your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds interesting. If only for the dialects. I do like books that use dialect.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.