Monday 4 January 2010

Dear Mr Bigelow (Woodsford)


Fiona from Random House very kindly made my Christmas when she sent me a copy of Dear Mr. Bigelow. I am a big fan of what I would describe as "real social history" - where the lives of people in the past are revealed through their letters and diaries, and where personal stories are combined with descriptions of everyday living conditions.

Dear Mr Bigelow brings together an edited selection of letters written by Frances Woodford in the immediate post-war period to Mr Bigelow. The correspondence arose after his daughter, Rosalind, very kindly sent the Woodfords a number of food parcels; Frances picked up that Mr Bigelow was lonely, and tried to convey her thanks to Rosalind for her generosity by writing to Mr Bigelow each week. Because she wrote on a weekly basis, the letters are almost diary-like and give a wonderful insight into Frances' life; she lived in Bournemouth and worked at the Public Baths, where she was supposedly secretary, but actually seemed to run the establishment.

I absolutely loved this book. I loved the period details, and just the descriptions of everyday incidents such as the potential cost of learning to drive, or the member of staff at the baths who eats treacle on top of his crumpets...which are already covered with toasted cheese. She talks about her reading, which includes the comedies of William Congreve, and "for the third time" Pride and Prejudice. It brings home the deprivations of the 1950s, where rationing was even harsher than during the war, with constant shortages of basics like meat.

There are also a number of wonderful illustrations, which Frances sent to Mr Bigelow - sometimes as part of the letters and sometimes separately, and several are included here, mostly amusing cartoons relating to incidents in her life.

I very much recommend these sorts of books for holiday reading - the letter format means that it can be picked up and put down, or read in a longer sitting. I had to ration myself from my usual gallop through a book to ensure that it didn't end too soon. If you liked Nella Last's diaries, Mrs Milburn's diaries, or Simon Garfield's collection Our Hidden Lives, then I am sure you will like this book - and if you liked this book then do try one of those.

7 comments:

  1. This does indeed sound like a wonderful book. I think social history is something I want to read alot more of in 2011. I think all British based books like that will be in my suitcase for Brazil, we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! I enjoyed Nella Last's War and have added Mr Bigelow to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love social history, so this book sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was at Nicholas Hoare and I really would love it but it was a hardcover and quite expensive. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it and will keep my eye out for the trade paperback when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is now the second great review I've seen of this book! So glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds amazing. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mr. Bigelow is from letters that were written to my great grandfather from Frances Woodsford in the 50's and 60's. At 95 Frances has accomplished something many of us would not have thought about. The Commodore, Paul Bigelow kept the letters in a specially designed hand made box. His housekeeper had the foresight to keep his letters and after her death the letters were rediscovered by her daughter and son-in law. The end of 2005 Mr. Mitchell (son in law) was on a trip with my uncle and the Bellport yacht club and Commodore were a topic of discussion. It was through that conversation the connection was made back to my family. "I have something that belongs to your family" Mr. Mitchell told my uncle. The letters were brought to me in Vermont. My aunts were contacted as Commodore was their grandfather, my mother their sister. The aunts called a cousin, Rosalind's daughter in law, who was still in contact with Miss Woodsford! Mid 2006 I received a call from an elderly woman in England requesting I return her letters as she wanted to have them published. After several conversations the letters were sent to her and the book did come to be! I am in regular contact with Miss Woodsford - she is an inspiration and the greatest story teller. Through our conversations I have found out things about my family I never would have known. She is to be commended for this undertaking and for the wonderful turn of events leading the letters back to her. Thank you Miss Woodsford. Cindy Leadbeater

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.