Tuesday 19 January 2010

Persephone short stories


I have always been a professed short-story non-reader. My feeling until recently that if a short story wasn't very good, then it wasn't worth bothering with (although at least one hadn't wasted too much time reading it), and if it was good, then one would want it to go on for longer and be a novel. When I heard Nicola Beaumann talk at the Woodstock bookshop back in December I wondered if I should re-evaluate my feelings towards the short story

I picked up The closed door and other stories by Dorothy Whipple while I was at the shop, and decided to give it a go on the train on the way home. I was absolutely hooked. The Persephone catalogue says: "it is a feat indeed to make a short story into a page-turner since normally a story is a photograph, an impression, an atmosphere.", but this is what Dorothy Whipple manages to do with these tales.

Since visiting the shop I've read two more of the short story collections - Frances Towers' Tea with Mr. Rochester and Mollie Panter-Downes' Good evening Mrs Craven. Neither of them were as gripping as Dorothy Whipple, and I did find the Frances Towers stories a bit samey, but I read them in a different way to previously, and read them with interest in what they had to say about the period that they were describing. I'm finding that the short story is good for when there isn't really time to sit down and be immersed in a novel, although they actually take more concentration than reading a novel because there is a greater danger of missing the point.

Persephone published a number of short story collections - has anyone else read any of the others? And what are people's favourites?

(PS: The picture at the top is the lovely endpaper from The closed door...it's a dress fabric but I think it would make lovely curtains!)

16 comments:

  1. After reading A Lovely Time by Whipple in the Persephone Biannual, I definitely want to read this collection. If you keep the issues of Persephone Biannual, I recommend going back a couple to find the Edith Wharton story, Roman Fever. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Stacy's recommendation of Roman Fever! I know you're not a huge fan of Wharton but that short story is very good.

    No surprise really that I recommend Katherine Mansfield (I haven't read The Montana Stories yet although have read some of the stories collected) and Angela Carter as The Bloody Chamber is a must. I am also delighted to have finally read Jhumpa Lahiri last year and find her writing beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like short stories and think its a matter of finding an author you click with. So much needs to be done in so short a time--you're right. I like Mollie Panter Downes and have read both her collections that Persephone publishes. You might also try Elizabeth Taylor--she's excellent, though not a Persephone author--maybe you have some of her Virago collections. I'd love to try Dorothy Whipple. She seems to be all over the place lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed both Panter-Downes short story collections and would love to own Closed Doors...one day soon. Like you, I didn't really gravitate towards short stories before last year but I'm a convert now.

    I've had it in mind to sew a retro pinny one of these days and that endpaper would do quite nicely. I could disappear if I stood in front of the curtains...hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of the Persephone collections I've read, Tea With Mr Rochester was actually my favourite - I found The Closed Door collection good but very samey - each seemed to have more or less the same message. Outside of Persephone, Katherine Mansfield is far and away the best short story writer I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the interesting feedback everyone!

    Book Psmith - unfortunately I only started getting the BiAnnually two issues ago - I wonder if I can find someone to lend me a back copy.

    Claire - I'll definitely be reading the Montana stories soon.

    Danielle - I've read all of Elizabeth Taylor now except her short stories so on the look out for those.

    Darlene - a retro pinny like that would be wonderful.

    Simon - Mansfield is inside of Persephone too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Verity,

    I have just started following your blog and really enjoy it.

    Alice Munro must be the one of the best short story writers working today. Her collection 'Runaway' is a good place to start. Also, Tove Jansson's 'A Winter Book' is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah - thanks for popping in! I've read a couple of Tove Jansson's novels so I may well seek that out, especially as it is still winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been a big short-story reader either - was having this discussion with a friend the other day who loves them, and who was arguing that a good short-story is a more difficult feat for an author than a novel. I do think I will try and read more of them this year, and was tempted by the Persephone ones, especially Dorothy Whipple's now I've read your review! Katherine Mansfield and Daphne Du Maurier's short stories also appeal so might slip them in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked Mollie Panter-Downes' Good Evening, Mrs. Craven so much that I pestered my local library into buying Minnie's Room. I don't read a lot of short stories myself, but I also don't find that many in bookstores. Although maybe that's an American thing? Even with the authors I see mentioned in comments, I think the only ones I could easily find in a store here are Katherine Mansfield and Alice Munro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found Roman Fever on the internet...

    http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/ewharton/bl-ewhar-roman.htm

    Not the same as a biannual:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like short stories, but haven't tried any by Peresphone authors yet. Whipple sounds like the place to start.

    I'd secodn the reccomendations of Angela Carter and Alice Munro though, and add A.S Byatt and David Malouf.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I generally love short stories but found the Mollie Panter-Downes ones frustrating. It's oneof the few times i've felt they should continue into novels rather than beimng complete in themselves. Tea With Mr Rochester was one of my first, and remains a favourite, Persephone. Would totally recommend A S Byatt's short stories, I've never been dissapointed by those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to read this collection one day. I also enjoyed Wharton's Roman Fever in the Biannually. One of my favourite short story authors is Grace Paley. And more recently, Alice Munro.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi - if you enjoy short stories - have you had a look at the collection called "Dancing with Mr Darcy"? It is edited by Sarah Waters and feautres short stories inspired by Jane Austen - some of which are really excellent and inventive... I have had Mollie Panter-Downes on my to be read pile for ages - so maybe I will get on with it now. Thank you for your blog - I have been enjoying reading it. Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Hannah. Do try Mollie Panter-Downes - much recommended. I'll look out for Dancing with Mr Darcy.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.