Thursday 16 December 2010

Petition to save all libraries in Oxfordshire

A very short post to ask you to spare a minute of your time to click through and sign the e-petition to save all of Oxfordshire's libraries. There are 43 in the county, and the council are proposing to stop funding 20 of them. Although currently 82% of library visits take place at the remaining 23 libraries, the small libraries are often important community centres and provide access to library services far more readily than if they were closed. It is proposed that they will be taken on by the government's Big Society scheme but as a librarian, and regular public library user, I honestly don't see how that will provide the same facilities and resources.

The petition is available here - unfortunately, you'll have to register to put your name down, but all you have to do is fill in your name and email address.

Please do spare a minute of your time if you can!

8 comments:

  1. I am disgusted by the way the government are shutting down so many libraries. I shall defintiley go over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm far far away but I'll do what I can to save libraries anywhere! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done! We have similar threats in Cornwall, and it is horrible because so many of the smaller town libraries under threat have so much going on and it is really underappreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all - much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good initiative!! Fight for the books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote to my local MP - and am still waiting for a response....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Done! Very sad indeed that libraries should be closed because of cutbacks. I say, stop spending money on nuclear deterrents and promote reading instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have signed the petition as well. Have also seen that the Isle of Wight are contemplating closing 9 out of their 11 libraries to save money.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.