Tuesday 10 April 2012

Verity's Veg Box #1


Super excited about our first veg box which arrived today!  It was the first thing I looked at when I got in, before I even took my coat and bicycle helmet off.  I knew it had arrived safely as Mr W had been waiting in for the gasman this morning but he had left it for me to open.

So what did we get?

We got spinach, a lettuce, three enormous tomatoes, three beetroot (substitute for onions which I said no to), a paper bag of broad beans, a green pepper, broccoli and a bunch of radishes.  In the fruit box we got 7 apples which look so tasty, 6 rock hard pears (now ripening on a windowsill) and 7 bananas (anticipate imminent banana bread when they all ripen at the same time).

So what's the plan?

Salads with the main meals of radishes and lettuce, may also give some radishes with Mr W's sandwiches.

Tonight - broad bean, broccoli and asparagus and courgette risotto (the latter two vegetables left from the weekend)
Wednesday - frittata with broccoli, asparagus, courgette and broad beans
Thursday - veg chilli utilising the green pepper
Friday - broccoli and spinach risotto (had this at a restaurant on Easter day, very tasty).
Saturday - Mr W will probably be desperate for something less vegetabley by then and his usual Saturday night dinner of tuna steak and jacket potato
Sunday - something with the beetroot.  Risotto?  Not really sure what to do with the beetroot apart from a risotto.  Anyone got any favourite beetroot ideas?  I do like risottos because I like my vegetables soft and at least then when you overcook them you don't throw the nutrients away with the cooking water!

17 comments:

  1. I've recently had a beautiful beetroot and feta salad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of choice and I do love a risotto!

    Beetroot risotto obviously. Or cooked and cubed with potatoes done the same, with fish on top, but only good if you eat fish. With feta is delicious as well.

    Or made into a jelly, cooked Beetroot, blackcurrant jelly and instead of all cold water half water, half vinegar.

    Spinach and potato with sage soup is another one I have been making lately.
    You have given me some ideas anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beetroot and potatoes boiled or roasted? We do eat fish, but not meat, and I find that salmon and trout go rather well with beetroot.

      Delete
    2. Roasted would be good, boiled works just as well.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love veg chilli. Veg box looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too, although it doesn't always love me!

      Delete
  4. What a nice looking box! Like Claire, I recently had a spinach salad with pickled beetroot and feta. It was delicious and I don't usually like beetroot. Risotto is always a favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is LOVELY! Can't wait for next weeks already!

      Delete
  5. Looks lovely apart from the beetroot. Bleeeuuurgh!!! I *hate* beetroot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be useless and end up not using half the veg provided. I waste so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a challenge, my New Year's resolution was to waste less, and I'm doing quite well so far - just needs a freezer and some forward planning for me. More difficult when you have kids in the equation I guess.

      Delete
  7. would this be a good time to get those Nigel Slater books about a cook and his veg patch/fruit garden... You could do a lot worse than see if the library has Jane Grigson's Veg book. Both are really good for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow veg books just don't appeal as much as baking ones...yet...

      Delete
  8. wonderful selection ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.