Friday 13 April 2012

Some new books...

...of the cheering variety.  Some of my readers may know that I am having another wisdom tooth out in an hour or so in hospital.  I've treated myself to some new books for when I get back later today, and of course the obvious choice is baking books because they are full of pretty pictures which can be looked at rather than actually read, which having had a fair amount of ill health and medical procedures in the last four or five years I have learnt is what I will need.

Three books - Phil Vickery's Gluten Free for Kids - you can't go wrong with a children's cooking book - one of my most used cookery books is a 20 year old copy of Sainsburys Cooking for Kids (my drop scone recipe originates from there, as well as a banana yoghurt ice cream, beautiful chocolate cake, flapjacks, bread...), hoping for more of the same with this book but without the gluten!  Biscuit is by Miranda Gore-Browne who you may remember as a finalist from the first series of The Great British Bake Off.  She made such beautiful creations on the show so I am really looking forward to this, and it already comes endorsed by Cornflower.  Finally, I should be clear that I currently have no intention of Starting a Cake Decorating Business from home, but you never know and how fascinating to read about how to do it.

I do have a couple of bakes to share with you which hopefully I'll post about tomorrow.  Despite having a wonderful array of veggies, we've still needed a bit of cake (well, who doesn't when anticipating something unpleasant?!), but I'm going with the principles of simple baking and baking things from my cupboards as I did in early 2011.  Probably won't last long once I read my way through these books!

7 comments:

  1. Best of luck! I shall be praying to Saint Apollonia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speedy recovery, Verity! It will be such a relief to put the agony of that tooth well and truly behind you. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to report that Miranda's Lemon and Poppy Seed Polenta Biscuits are fabulous! (I made a batch this morning).
    All the best for today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your tooth extraction went well and that you make a speedy recovery.

    We've been baking today, as we're attending an AGM tonight, and volunteered to take along some Gluten Free goodies that Mr H can safely eat, and others that don't need GF will also enjoy tucking in to.

    I made my trusty standby, Polenta, Orange and Almond crispy cookies. Mr H has baked a Victoria Sandwich, and also made some cheese biscuits, he uses a cheese straw recipe, but uses cookie cutters to make more interesting shapes.

    Cornflower's mention of the lemon and poppy seed polenta biscuits sounds the kind of recipe that I should also be making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! You have all my sympathies -- I'll never forget when I had all of mine removed on the same day. Not a good week of recovery. Ben and Jerry were my particular friends, and I do remember making some lovely risotto. I don't remember reading a lot of books that week but I know I watched a lot of movies too. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope that all went well and there isn't too much swelling.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.