Thursday 22 September 2011

Mumps part 2

Thank you everyone for your kind comments on the last mumps post - it seems very unfortunate that I should have succombed as an adult since anyone who has had it seems to have had it as a child! I was glad to know that other people remembered the illustration of Nancy Blackett (which sadly I can't find anywhere online :( )

I don't feel well enough to read, which is good, since I have very little to read, but I have been promised a book parcel from a bloggy friend which is lovely! I am also expecting an Amazon package, but it should have been here yesterday :(

In the afternoon, I did get out the cross stitch magazine that I purchased at the weekend; I shall never feel guilty about random purchases of magazines again, after all who knows when you might get mumps?! It didn't come with a kit, but lots of patterns and when I looked at one of them, I realised that I had quite a lot of the colours needed. There are also a lot of mini patterns for Christmas motifs which I could make into Christmas cards. I realised shortly after this, that Mr W, working in Trowbridge yesterday, would have to come home past the Hobbycraft at Swindon, and made a list of the colours that I wanted. And this is what he brought me home - it's not quite flowers, but it's still pretty good*



And this was what I was working on:



Yesterday I felt like a fraud, but today I definitely feel ill enough to be off work. Hence not even attempting to talk about anything meaningful in this blog post. Time to go and lie on the sofa and maybe look at the pictures in one of my favourite books: Jane Brocket's The gentle art of domesticity.




* Hopes for flowers tonight maybe?!

13 comments:

  1. Feel better soon Verity! I always turn to period dramas when I'm sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon. I do feel for you. Mumps can make you feel so poorly. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you with the mumps! Nancy's here, but not very big
    http://www.arthur-ransome.org/Members/geraint/images/ransome-drawings/drawings/WH%2011%20Captain%20Nancy%20Gives%20Instructions.jpg/view?searchterm=None

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Verity - get well soon and hope there's lots of rain in your corner of England so that at least you don't want to venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, Mumps! You poor thing! Do take every day necessary to rest and recove. I hope it's a mild case only and that you can continue to derive some enjoyment from the enforced confinement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your blog with pleasure but I'm not much of a contributor. Bt I do want to say how sorry I feel for you--and get well soon. I hope that your husband has had mumps or been vaccinated.

    What used to be thought if as childhood illnesses are so much worse in adult years. I remember when my sister and I caught chickenpox from a very young friend and--he had only about 10 pocks and we were COVERED--in our ears and in our noses even. This was in the 1950s and we sat together scratching wildly in our hair where scars wouldn't show...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope you feel better soon. Cross-stitch is really good therapy though. :-)

    Cath @ read_warbler

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor thing you do sound blue. Still cross stitching and sleeping are both possible nice activities. And maybe if you hint enough Mr W will have a go at making you some delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no Verity.... hope you are feeling better soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Verity, mumps are terrible at any time but especially when I was so close to meeting you! Oxford is absolutely stunning so no worries, I will definitely be back. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope some flowers arrived!

    I go the same magazine with the Book chart as well! Little achievements will make you feel better! And well K for knowing what to get at Hobbycraft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor you. I do hope you are soon feeling better and able to enjoy your books and cross stitches once again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was the first time I have managed to post an entry = anon. with chickenpox. This seems the only only way to get through ?? But anyway I'll include my name, Erika, in the message if/when I post again. I hope that you will soon feel much better.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.