Monday 3 May 2010

Persephone Reading Week : Roundup #1


It's time for the first round up of the Persephone Reading Week. Lots of you have posted about your plans to get involved and I can't wait to see your reviews in due course - which we will round up!

Here's a helping of those of you who have written about your plans for the week:
Flowers and stripes
Rambling fancy
Skirmish of wit
Make do and read
Stuck in a book
Lakeside musing
An embarrassment of frivolities

(Apologies if I missed yours...please help us to share the Persephone love by posting links to your reviews under Claire or my welcome post)

The first review of the week was posted by Fleur fisher , who writes about Tea with Mr Rochester, a book of wonderful short stories which she has been savouring slowly since the last Persephone Reading week. She concluded: "My heart wants to tell you about them all, but my head says no. These are stories should creep up on you, and delight you, as you read."

Other posts have quickly followed...

Buried in Print has written about Vere Hodgeson's Few eggs and no oranges as part of immersing herself in WW2 literature.

Thomas at My Porch reviewed High Wages by Dorothy Whipple and issued a stern warning to Persephone that he shall not be responsible for the consequences if they do not republish the rest of Whipple's work. I echo his sentiment - I have been lucky enough to discover some of Whipple's other novels in the store of my public library and have greatly enjoyed them.

The tea lady didn't particularly enjoyed The runaway, but she highlights the wonderful woodcut illustrations by Gwen Raverat which make the Persephone edition so covetable.

You'll be able to see my review of Still Missing later on tonight! I have been reading Julian Grenfell today and am hoping to browse through Plats du jour this evening...

1 comment:

  1. Just thought I'd let you know that I've put up a Persephone poll on my blog... would love people's responses!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.