Sunday 8 May 2011

One Book, Two Book, Three Book, Four... and Five...

I've been struggling a bit to keep up with blogging - my life is all over the place what with wedding cake baking (I promise a progress report this week...), training for my 10km swim, and trying to move house but I can't resist doing this meme which was created by Simon, and which has popped up all over the blogosphere in the last few days. Apologies that I didn't have my camera (up at the new house with K) to take pictures - have used Amazon pictures where I can (but sadly not all of the books had pictures I could find online)!

1. The book I'm currently reading: Myra Carroll by Noel Streatfeild. I've started looking out for Noel Streatfield books as she is one of my favourite authors, and someone who I can (when not soending money on a house) just about afford still these days (so many of the authors I'd love to collect are just too expensive). I haven't actually started it, but it's in my bag for lunchtime. I may have read it previously, but I can't remember. I'm also reading Confessions of a wedding planner by Tamryn Kirby - I follow her blog (yes, I'm a little bit interested in weddings at the moment!!) and thought this looked interested when I spotted it at the library yesterday.



2. The last book I finished. I just finished reading Noel Streatfield's Ballet Annual. This delightful book of short stories (yes, I don't even usually like short stories) written for children, all with ballet/dance/theatre themes (and a couple of non-fiction articles) by Streatfeild (some even featuring familiar characters from her childrens books such as the Fossils and Lalla the figure skater) was just perfect for a day of packing boxes, baking wedding cake and various chores yesterday. Really struggling with reading much else at the moment if I'm honest.

3. The next book I want to read. I quite want to read the book that I got K from the library called "Planning and fitting your kitchen" because I think, even if I'm not doing it, I'd like some insight into how it works. But I haven't been able to separate it from him yet. If we're talking wishlist though, I'd love to get my mitts on The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie.

4. The last book I bought has not yet arrived - it is A young man's fancy by Susan Pleydell, a new Greyladies book that I bought with birthday money and will be saving for my wedding trip.



5. The last book I given. William and Kate dress up dolly book. This was a present from Claire of Paperback Reader in return for some clothes shop vouchers that I gave her, and as a belated birthday/pre wedding present. I LOVED the Royal wedding coverage, perhaps because of my current interest in weddings. I only wish I had a second copy so that I could actually cut up and dress the paper dolls.

I think this meme should be done by everyone once a month! It would make fascinating reading.

12 comments:

  1. A real mix of books.

    I saw a Noel Streatfield book in a charity book shop yesterday and thought of you, perhaps I should have bought it to read myself.

    I think this would be a good monthly meme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in Verity! I'll definitely be doing this meme again when nothing else is inspiring me. And I want that Wills/Kate book!
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun meme! What a lovely gift from Claire...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wills and Kate book is great!! I will look out for it when I am in London this month. Also like the sound of the wedding planner book, it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also very keen to read The Wilder Life. I am currently coming to the end of Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Donald Zochert, so need something else for my Little House fix :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read The Wilder Life. I'm 5th in line for it at my library and they're still showing it 'on order' rather than in processing so it might be a long wait! I'm also really intrigued by A Young Man's Fancy, which I'd never heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're enjoying my 'Confessions' and that you'll keep following my blog too :-)

    Tamryn x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Will and Kate dress up dolls (I have a dd that would like one of those!). And I agree with you - this would be a fun monthly exercise. Hope you have a peaceful week in the midst of the busyness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just bought my little god daughter "Dancing Shoes" for her birthday at the end of the month. Got to encourage the next generation & she loved "Ballet Shoes" which I got her last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a mixture of practicality and weddings - it is funny to see 'how to sort your kitchen out' books that I presume are all about grout and the magical triangle that involves fridge, cooker and something else right next to a cut-out-dolls book!

    I'm amazed at how much you're getting done - they do say that marriage and house moving are two of the most stressful things its possible to do in your entire life - and you've opted for both at once, plus PE plus entertaining all of us! Are you full of energy or torn in all directions?

    And my list is here http://rosesyear.blogspot.com/2011/05/one-book-two-book-three-book-four-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ballet Shoes and White Boots were my favourite books by Streatfield when I was growing up:)

    You've got so much going on so you should pat yourself on the shoulder for even posting! Good luck with the wedding baking:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I posted my link to this meme today. I think you are doing very well with wedding preparations and whatnot! enjoy the doings!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.