Wednesday 30 March 2011

Orange 2011: A visit from the goon squad (Egan)


My seventh Orange read from the longlist (which takes me to halfway through, since I had read three titles before it was announced) is set in America: A visit from the goon squad by Jennifer Egan. It was another contrasting read: I really feel that the Orange list this year is full of diversity, it may seem to deal with a lot of troublesome subjects but the ten books that I have read so far are all very varied. This means that while I have liked some of the titles immensely, and enjoyed some more than others, I have struggled through some of them, this one included (although, I am suffering from a cold which may have impaired my concentration).

It opened with an episode of theft, by one of the main characters, Sasha, which I found a bit disturbing and did nothing to make me sympathetic towards her (she steals a purse from a bag in some women's toilets, and it is then revealed that she has a history of doing this. As I read the book, I always had the episode in my mind whenever I read about her. The book is also about Bennie, a record executive, whom Sasha works for. And it weaves a tale that, despite not getting on well with the book myself, I could see was quite masterful - many characters, over several decades and all though this could have easily become disparate it all linked together successfully. The different chapters use different voices - first, second, third person, interviews, streams of consciousness, even a powerpoint presentation - all pretty original. I'm just afraid that it didn't draw me in - whether it was because of the mishmash of format or whether it was because I didn't like the characters enough.

I am not sure that I have seen any reviews of this yet on the blogs that I have in my google-reader (apologies if I've missed one) - have any of my readers read it yet, and if so what did you like/dislike about it? I'd really be interested to know your thoughts.

Thanks to Sam from Corsair/Constable publishing for giving me the opportunity to read this one.

8 comments:

  1. A Visit from the Goon Squad was one of my favorite reads of 2010. I really enjoyed the large scope of the novel. Initially I expected loosely connected stories, but after the utter brilliance of the PowerPoint chapter and the masterful final chapter that tied the narratives together into what I believe is indeed a novel, I was moved. I enjoyed Egan's writing throughout, but I most enjoyed the scope of the novel: how she played with time and characters. I don't think it's for everyone, but I plan to read it again if it makes the shortlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. It does sound clever but I also wonder whether these bits and pieces make it less cohesive as a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just can't seem to decide if I want to read this one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggled with an earlier book by Jennifer Egan, so it might not be your cold.I'd give her the benefit of the doubt because I've heard so much praise, but I can't cope with anything too complicated right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on my third Orange read. I do hope to read them all before June. Somehow or other. I had very high hopes for this one, I'll try to push them down a little before getting my hands on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Verity they discussed this on the Review Show on bbc2 last night.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0101pt1

    ReplyDelete
  7. I borrowed this one from the library and had to return my copy without taking any notes, so I only have a general response to it here. It sounds as though I enjoyed it more than you did, but I do agree that the characters were not easy to like. Nonetheless, I think the theme -- the passage of time and the way that our perspectives and personalities change (or don't!) -- is handled deftly and it's worth a re-read for me.

    Having saved your comments to read when I was nearing the end of my own Orange reading, I'm awfully late replying, but still enjoying your responses all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's both the unsympathetic characters and the flitting about in time and space between the chapters that make this book either very appealing (as it has been to the prize judges) or very unappealing (as it was to you and me)!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.