Sunday 17 June 2012

Garden update

As it's not raining for once, it's time for a little garden update. I have to say that the recent weather (torrential rain and high winds) has not been pleasant for my little babies and I hope they will survive. I planted the tomatoes out on Jubilee Weekend and they do just about seem ok although desperately in need of some sun.




 The courgettes went out a week ago - following the first lot of courgettes which failed, we decided that part of the problem was that the ground had not been properly prepared so Mr W has kindly sieved the soil and then tipped five bags of compost on top (Sainsburys special offer...) and then I planted them out. They ARE very floppy but it seems one doesn't need to cane them. I think one of them won't survive, but two of them have started growing little flowers which I was very excited to spot when I watered them earlier. They seem quite thirsty, I'm not sure whether it's the compost that's super absorbant or that they are planted next to the garage but they seem to need a lot of water in addition to the rain that's falling. Won't be so much of a problem once Mr W fixed the outside tap and I can either use the hose (now that the hose ban has been lifted) or at least not carry my watering can so far!

5 comments:

  1. Courgettes need *lots* of water. The baby courgettes form at the base of those yellow flowers. Your plants look fine, they always flop when you first plant them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verity, just looked at our 2 tomato plants when I went outside to top up the bird feeders, we have one baby tomato forming now. Our tomato plants are in our greenhouse, so a bit protected from the vagaries of our British Summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ten weeks from now you will be thanking your lucky stars that one of those courgettes didn't make it! They look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got a couple of strawberries now despite the weather, but not sure the tomatoes will make it. I'll be watching the progress of your plants to guess how ours might go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really excited to hear and see your ventures in the garden. There is a handy book called "what do I do with all these courgettes" you might be needing in a couple of months! Happy tending for your veggies, may it be the start of a beautiful relationship!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.