It's been a bit of a pants week somehow, obviously coming back from a holiday to work is always hard, but it's worse when you come from somewhere warm to somewhere cold and grey, you get ANOTHER cold (making the 2nd in 3 weeks), and although you knew that the wisdom tooth infection you'd had while you were away wasn't going to end happily, you thought it would probably be done at the surgery in the next couple of weeks. Oh no. Firstly, the dentist said that he'd have to do it privately as anticipated another difficult extraction which would take too long to do in the NHS half hour slot, or I could go to the hospital. Then after he saw the x-rays he said that I'd definitely HAVE to go to the hospital. On Friday we found out that this meant a THIRTEEN WEEK wait. Cue a distraught Verity at the thought of having to put up with a painful tooth for that long as well as the realisation that this would be right in the middle of the open water swimming season :( Further investigations by Mr W and kind offers from parents mean that going privately may be an option, so fingers crossed that this week will go somewhat better and that I'll be without a cold, accustomed once more to the weather and that we'll make some progress in finding out when I can get my tooth out - before I take a sledgehammer to the side of my face (cheaper and swifter).
I guess you won't be surprised that Lent hasn't gone very well this week. Mr W was sent out for emergency chocolate on Thursday night and 2 200g jars of Nutella have been consumed since. It seems that since I have also had to cut out yeast from my diet as well as gluten, it is nigh on impossible to get enough carbohydrate and energy to fuel my swimming without eating a modicum of cake. I am making Mr W stick to the no-cake rule though :)
So that was a bit of a ranty ramble. Here are some good things:
1. Mr W was supposed to be away this weekend but is now not going away until tomorrow.
2. We planted asparagus in a grow bag on the patio yesterday and some courgettes in little tubs to be transplanted in due course.
3. My Mum took me to see Stomp in Northampton yesterday - this was a strange music/dance spectacular set in a rubbish dump where 8 people dance and make lots of noise with things like brooms and kitchen sinks. Not quite sure what I think about it.
4. I have been bad and ordered two new books by two of my favourite authors which were out last week to read on my next holiday, and in the meantime I am rereading some of their back catalogues. Currently on "We are all made of glue" by Marina Lewycka.
5. Mr W has been redecorating the 3rd bedroom in our house "my room", and we are going to choose some carpet for it this afternoon.
6. My cold was better enough to swim my way through a 5.5k swim set this morning, albeit not flat out, and I am seeing the effects of the swim camp on my stroke and speed. More about swimming another day.
Now I really am...
1 hour ago