Monday 19 December 2011

Mini Christmas cakes

This is what I've made for my (and Ken's) immediate colleagues this year - mini Christmas cakes. I am so pleased with how they turned out.

I made up a batch of wedding cake mixture (for the middle sized tier) - yes, this involved getting the mixing bucket out - and then used mini 4" pork pie tins (such an essential part of every vegetarian's kitchen) to bake the cakes. I used 4" cutters to cut out rounds of marzipan and icing which I stuck on top using apricot glaze (I decided not to level the cakes as didn't want to make them teeny tiny). I did a variety of decorations with what was on hand - the solitary reindeer was made from a tiny bit of leftover marzipan and was the dummy run for what I hope to do with my Christmas cake... The snowflakes look pretty but were so hard to cut out! The holly leaves were made with leftovers from the green fairy wedding cake I made...







9 comments:

  1. They look yum!

    I would be honoured to receive one of them as a present! Lucky people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are so gorgeous! I like the reindeer one best!

    http://keepcalmandbookworm.blogspot.com/ & http://bookishbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness, they're amazing. What skill you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Mrs W. kindly made me one without marzipan as she knows how much I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all so pretty but I really adore the snowflake cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky, lucky colleagues. Wouldn't it be lovely to work with Verity, or Mr W? They are a charming and delightful couple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want you to be my colleague ;) Although I can't really complian as we had two lots of home made mince pies made this year. I love the snowflakes - is there a premade cutter you could use instead of hand designing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh these look so pretty! I especially love the snowflake one.

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.