Thursday 25 August 2011

Growing things

I find it difficult to contain my excitement about growing things. I never thought it was something that I could do, but along with making chutney and mincemeat, it seems that with a little care, and following some instructions it can be done.

I am terribly impressed with my forest of two tomato plants which are making a bid to completely take over the patio. Luckily my neighbours kindly kept an eye on them while we were away, and we came back to mini tomatoes! I am not quite sure how to make them turn red - just wait?



It feels like cheating a little bit to mention our pear tree, since we have had nothing at all to do with the fact that it is bearing fruit, but I was very excited to start picking pears at the weekend. They are rock hard at the moment but should hopefully start to ripen in the back room of our house which gets a lot of sun. I'm wondering about making this gluten free pear crumble with them, but I also remember my Mum making fantastic chocolate pear puddings when I was small, as well as amazing pear chutney...

5 comments:

  1. Your tomato plants have really taken off! Just wait for the fruit to ripen before you pick it, it won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verity, try this website for advice re your tomato plants

    http://www.gardenhive.com/fruit/tomatoes/harvest/

    I've had success with lettuces again this year. Purchased 2 packs of living leaves - 3 varieties in each pack, from a well known UK supermarket. Price only £1 per pack, only additional cost was the compost in plastic pot to plant them up, and then harvest leaves as you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good and I love the smell of tomato plants. They will ripen in the sun(if we have any).

    Look forward to seeing what you make with them.My mum has a glut of them at the moment and I have recipe for some sun-dried tomatos from slimming book to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he we inherited an apple tree & so now we finally have an oven my first cake will be an apple one. Well done on veg growing already. I'm enjoying the flowers & think maybe next year is for veg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! Those are two very happy tomato plants! Well done to you. I'm told tomatoes ripen based upon ambient heat rather than the usual direct-sunshine, so anywhere particularly warm ought to do it. They don't look like they need much help, though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Do leave a comment - I love to hear from people who read my blog.